Statue of St. Vitus - the fourteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the fourteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statue was created by Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokof (or by someone from his workshop, based on his model) in 1714 and donated by Matyáš Adalbert Macht of Lowenmacht, a dean of the Chapter of Vyšehrad. St. Vitus is portrayed as a Roman soldier (he lived in Sicily in the 3rd century) with a medieval ducal hat. He is standing on a rock with caves out of which peaceful-looking lions come out (according to legend, the saint was thrown to the lions but tamed them and they laid down by his feet). The medieval hat symbolizes the relationship between the saint and medieval Bohemia – it was the relic of St. Vitus for which Prince Wenceslas founded a church at the Prague Castle; Charles IV acquired some more relics of the saint and placed them in the same church. A replica of the statue, also made by F.M. Brokof or his workshop, is in Radíč by Sedlčany.