-
Statue of St. Philip Benitius Statue of St. Philip Benitius Statue of St. Philip Benitius 

Statue of St. Philip Benitius - the thirteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower

Statue of St. Philip Benitius

the thirteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower

The statue, made of white marble from Salzburg, was created by Michal Bernhard Mandl (and finished after his death) in 1714 and donated by the Prague Convent of the Servites. It is the only marble statue on Charles Bridge. It portrays the prior-general of the Servites, St. Philip Benizi, dressed in a regular vestment, with a cross, branch and book and in an ecstatic pose. By his feet, there is a papal tiara to remind us of his refusal to become a pope. On the pseudo-Rococo cartouche of the pedestal, there is the Latin inscription St. Philip Benizi, the fifth prior-general of the Servites, was loved by God for his humbleness: 1713. The statue was carved in Salzburg; its clay model is still in the local museum. The statue was renovated by M. Tomše and J. Kaifosz in 2000; the new pedestal, made of four pieces of sandstone from Božanov, was created by J. Diviš.

Sort by: location name

 

number of visitors:

 – Počítadlo.cz           Provoz webu zajišťuje www.internetportal.cz