Statue of St. Nicholas of Tolentino - the eleventh one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the eleventh one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The statue was created by Jeroným Bedřich Kohl in 1708 and donated by the Convent of the Augustinian Order by the Church of St. Thomas in Prague. It shows St. Nicolas of Tolentino, a benefactor of the poor, giving out bread; next to him there is an angel holding a basket with bread. The cartouche on a simple prismal pedestal has the Latin inscription To the consoler of the faithful; below the cartouche there is the Latin inscription To St. Nicholas of Tolentino, who made miracles with miraculously exuded blood and blessed bread. The original of the statue is in Gorlice at Vyšehrad; the copy on the bridge was made by J. Jiřikovský in 1969. – Below the statue, on the right, there is a staircase in the Gothic Revival style connecting Charles Bridge with Kampa.