Statue of St. Adalbert - the thirteenth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the thirteenth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statue was created by Michal Jan Josef Brokof in 1709, probably in collaboration with his brother, Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokof, and donated by Marcus Barnard Joanelli, an Old Town councillor. The statue portrays the second Czech bishop, St. Adalbert, in a richly draped vestment blessing the Czech Lands after his return from Rome. His hand is holding the Gospel that he preached to the Prussian Slavs and Hungarians. The pedestal is adorned with acanthus plants, angels and the emblem of the donator; on the bottom of the pedestal, there is the Latin inscription Erected by Marcus de Joanelli, a councillor of the Prague Old Town, to publicly honor St. Adalbert: 1709. The original of the statue is in Gorlice at Vyšehrad. The copy on the bridge was made by V. Hořínek and K. Hořínek in 1973.