Statuary of St. Luthgard - the twelfth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the twelfth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statuary was created by Matyáš Bernard Braun in 1710 and donated by Evžen Tyttl (1666–1738), an abbot of the Cistercian Abbey of Plasy. It is a superb Baroque statuary, the best one on the bridge and the first known statue of Matyáš Bernard Braun in Bohemia (he was only 26 years old when he made it). Braun was probably inspired by the painting of his friend, Petr Jan Brandl (1668-1735), or the Ecstasy of St. Theresa by Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680). The statuary depicts St. Luitgarda who, before her death, saw the crucified Jesus Christ who embraced her, pressed her lips against his wounds and exchanged his heart for hers. On the beautiful pedestal (Braun perhaps collaborated with František Maxmilián Kaňka, 1796–1859, or Jan Blažej Santini-Eichel, 1677–1723), there is an oval slab with the Latin inscription St. Luitgarda from the Cistercian Order; on the right, there is the Latin inscription The vivified side gave a heart for another heart. From the Cistercian breviary for 15 June and on the left, there is the Latin inscription Embraced with the arm of the crucified Christ. At the back of the pedestal, there is the Latin inscription Erected by the Cistercian Abbey of Plasy in 1710 during the office of Evžen Tyttl, a probost of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Česká Lípa, in honor of St. Luitgarda. The original of the statuary is now in the Lapidarium of the National Museum; the copy on the bridge was made by B. Rak and J. Novák in 1995. – Below the statuary, on the left, there is a staircase in the Gothic Revival style connecting Charles Bridge with Kampa.