Statuary of St. Francis Borgia - the seventh one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the seventh one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statuary was created by Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokof in 1710 and donated by Franz of Collet, the imperial burgrave in the New Town of Vienna. It depicts St. Francis Borgia in a Jesuit vestment; two angels asymmetrically placed by both of his sides are holding a picture of the Virgin Mary and the Eucharist. The lower part of the pedestal shows the attributes of St. Francis Borgia – a helmet (he was a soldier), a ducal crown (he was a viceroy of Catalonia before he became a priest) and a scarlet hat (he declined the office of cardinal). The skull with a crown is to remind us of the ephemerality of this world. The upper part of the pedestal shows the emblem of the donator.