Statuary of Christ the Saviour with St. Cosmas and St. Damian - the fifteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the fifteenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statuary was created by Jan Oldřich Mayer in 1709 and donated by the Medicine Faculty of the Prague University (both saints are patrons of physicians). Three separate figures are standing on a large trisectional pedestal. In the middle, there is the statue of Jesus Christ Salvator Mundi (the Savior of the World) made in the style of Central European Realism. St. Cosmos (on the left) and St. Damian (on the right) are dressed in the typical attire of professors of the Prague University. They are holding palm branches, the symbol of martyrs, and medicine containers; Cosmos is holding a container with the Latin inscription Thus prescribed medicine and Damian a container with the Latin inscription This is the medicine of life. Other mostly Latin inscriptions say Our redemption is in this cross: 1709 (on the sides of the cross), To Cosmos, the Hippocrates among the saints: 1709 (on the left cartouche), To Jesus Christ, the healer of the world: 1709 (on the middle cartouche), To the pious brother Damian, the Galen from Heaven: 1709 (on the right cartouche).