Powder tower called Mihulka - Vikářská Street, Prague Castle
Vikářská Street, Prague Castle
Through a passage way from Vikářská street it is possible to access the northern castle fortifications with a 20 metres high cylindrical artillery bastion, called the Powder tower or Mihulka. Along with Daliborka Tower and the New White Tower it was also built by B. Ried at the end of the 15th century as part of Jagiello fortifications of the Prague Castle. Neither this or any of the other towers in the northern fortification were used for defence. In the period of Rudolph II there were alchemist workshops inside the tower, later it served as gunpowder stockroom and since 1754 there were flats of vergers from St.Vitus Cathedral. At present time there is an exposition of the Museum of Military History.