Hradčany Town Hall - Loretánská Street 1/173, Hradčany
Loretánská Street 1/173, Hradčany
Hradčany Town Hall was built after 1598 when Hradčany became a royal town and it has served its original purpose until 1784 when individual Prague towns were united into into one city of Prague as we know it today; afterwards the Town Hall was sold and converted into a residential house. Its front side has a well preserved Renaissance sgrafitto façade with the imperial coat-of-arms and a picture of Justice. The portal bears the Hradčany emblem. It also has an interesting technical feature – a measurement standard of Prague cubit forms part of the gate so that both sellers and buyers could verify the right unit size of the goods. In the basement of the Town Hall there is a fragment of the former Gothic town fortifications. Actor V. Vejražka lived in this house and died there in 1974.