Hospital of St. Elizabeth - Úvoz Street 15/155, Hradčany
Úvoz Street 15/155, Hradčany
The former hospital of St. Elizabeth was founded in 1668 by the Strahovského Strahov Monastery abbot as a substitute for the original hospital which was located in the west part of Pohořelec since 1623 and was knocked down during the construction of Baroque fortification of Prague. This early Baroque building has a high gable imitating church buildings, its sculptural decorations were created by J. Bauer in 1726; he is probably also the author of the Pietà statue on the two-way staircase. Inside runs a long corridor with cells for the poor and ill on the sides. Above the entrance there is a memorial plaque with a latin inscription from the original hospital. The wall of the Strahov garden runs down from the hospital building.