Clam-Gallas Palace - Husova Street 20/158, Old Town
Husova Street 20/158, Old Town
Southern part of the façade of the monumental Clam-Gallas Palace reaches into the crossroad between Karlova and Husova street, it is one of the most important Baroque palaces in Prague. It was built in High Baroque style in the site of slightly older housing in 1714-18 based on a plan by J. B. Fischer of Erlach (construction by T. Haffenecker) for Count Jan Václav Gallas. The decorations were done by M. B. Braun and his workshop (portals with Atlas statues, sculptures of Ancient Greek gods in the roof part, angels-light bearers inside and vases at the staircase), painter C. Carlone, stonemason D. A. Rappa or stuccoworkers R. Bolla, S. Bussi and G. Fiumberti among others. In one of the three courtyards there is a fountain with a statue of Triton by M. B. Braun, protected by a Baroque grille. The Gallas and Clam-Gallas families, owners of the palace, were lovers and supporters of the arts; their palace became a famous Prague cultural centre where numerous concerts took place – with W. A. Mozart (1787) and L. van Beethoven (1796) performing there too, theatre performances (1812-38) were held there as well as exhibitions of paintings (incl. annual exhibitions of Fine Arts Unity in 1843-52). – In an alcove of the outer wall of the palace at Mariánské square there is a fountain with an allegorical statue of Vltava River by V. Prachner.