Church of St. Clement - Part of Clementinum, Karlova Street, Old Town
Part of Clementinum, Karlova Street, Old Town
At present time a Roman-Catholic church, in the past one of the three shrines of the Jesuit College Clementinum, was built by A. M. Lurago in 1711-15 according to a plan of F. M. Kaňka in place of an older church. The building is purposely very plain from the outside so that the richly decorated Baroque interior could stand out; the most precious parts include stone and wooden sculptures from the workshop of M. B. Braun from 1716-1721 placed at six side altars, pulpit, confession room and the organ-loft and also a painting by P. J. Brandl from 1716. An iconostasis was added to the church in 1950 when it became used by the Orthodox church and the church was renovated in 1980. The church has exceptional acoustic properties, probably the best ones in Prague. From the street side the façade of the Italian Chapel of the Assumption of Our Lady protrudes into the Karlova street. The church has a common column entrance with the chapel, made by F. M. Kaňka.