At the Golden Deer (At the Czech Lion) - Celetná Street 11/598, Old Town
Celetná Street 11/598, Old Town
Originally a Romanesque building from the beginning of the 13th century (small remainders in the basement), extended and rebuilt later on, its current appearance is peak Baroque from the 2nd quarter of the 18th century. In the basement of the house there is a wine cellar, partly located in the early Gothic rooms with cross vaults, parts of the walls are Gothic too as well as the brick gable on the north side of the house. The façade facing the Celetná street is ecclectic in terms of style, it is Baroque with neo-Rococo features. On the groundfloor and the first floor there are late Renaissance vaults preserved. In 1781 the so-called rattle post office was established there – this post delivered mail around Prague and within 3 miles from the city walls; the couriers announced their arrival to the adressees by rattling. It was closed down in 1820 for a lack of interest.