At the Golden Angel - Celetná Street 29/588, Old Town
Celetná Street 29/588, Old Town
Originally a Baroque house was built in place of older buildings. There used ot be an inn there, close to the entry into the Prague Old Town. In 1788 the house was sold to a private subject and a luxurious hotel was opened there, one of the top ones on Prague; the guests included the Danish and Greek queens, kings of Saxony and Hannover, in 1848 the Russian anarchist M. Bakunin (1814-1876) stayed there; in the same year Prague’s uprising committee settled there too. During the 19th century the house was adapted a number of times and also extended, its current appearance is from a late Classicist adaptation in 1860 (J. Šíma). Some of the cellars have a Gothic character, some rooms on the groundfloor have late Classicist vaults.