*1810 (Janov by Sloup in Bohemia), †1901 (Prague)
Czech sculptor of German origin, member of a family of wood-carvers and sculptors, brother of J.Max. Representative of romantically oriented academic style of the 19th century. He worked in his brother´s Prague atelier, then he studied at Prague, Munich and Vienna academies and in Rome where he got acquainted with Baroque, Renaissance and Ancient Roman sculptures. After return to Prague he founded a workshop which produced a lot of academically oriented works commissioned by church, nobility and the state as well. Besides the Charles Bridge and other places in Prague, his works can be found also in Karlsbad, Liberec, Teplice, Sloup, Kuks, Sychrov, Křivoklát, Rajhrad, Stadice and others.